02/10/26

Differences

There are some things that I will never get used to, partly because I don't want to. For example, Irish sandwiches, really awful, moist bread with a lot of mayo in it, repulsive texture. Of course, I'm aware this is a cultural thing. I'd love gooey, tasteless bread, had I been born here. In the same way, I suppose I'd think burqa feels like a second skin, had I been born and bred in some orthodox Muslim family. Well. Sometimes we think we choose things when in reality the direction is just the opposite, things choose us.

Interesting observation made in the last few days: when I speak English I share more about myself. It feels like my filter is kind of broken or as I'd like to catch up on all the things people from other cultures have no idea about, I want to tell them ALL to help them to understand my perspective. Also, it's kind of crazy when I speak English with a barista and then go back to a book translated from German into Polish (Thomas Mann) with the French lines left in. Three languages, no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment